Advanced SQL + Performance workshop
This workshop enables developers to use SQL as a first-class language in their applications. You will be able to read and write advanced SQL effectively after this course.
Due to the historic divide between database and programming skills the majority of SQL written by developers suffers from at least one of the following problems:
- It is overly complex and could be greatly simplified via refactoring
- It has poor performance, due to insufficient knowledge of DB internals
- It does not leverage modern and/or vendor specific SQL functions
All of these issues can be fixed by encouraging developers to treat SQL with as much respect as their normal code, educating them about performance implications and informing them about new features available in commercial and open source databases. This masterclass achieves these three goals.
Target audience is expected to be experienced with SQL and programming in general. Specific PostgreSQL or Oracle knowledge is not required.
Participants need to bring their own machines and perform pre-course setup. Setup instructions will be available.
Delegates should bring laptops with PostgreSQL installed, but this training will now support any of these ( if someone prefers not to work with PostgreSQL):
- DB2 LUW
- MySQL 8.0
- SQL Server
- Outline Day 1 – SQL Functionality
- Introduction to the course databases and revision of core SQL constructs
- Advanced constructs, such as row value expressions and hierarchical SQL A
- Applying window functions for complex calculations within the database
- Modern use of DML (e.g. using MERGE instead of INSERT and UPDATE)
- Using esoteric data types (json, hstore, arrays, composite types, ranges etc…)
- Outline Day 2 – SQL Performance
- The inner workings of an index
- The cost-based optimizer
- Why constraints are so important for performance
- Writing performant predicates
- Faster DML
- Antipatterns, myths, and best practices
Learning methods: Practical exercise, independent work.
Assesment methods: Execution of independent work.
Assesment form: Independent practical tasks on relevant topics.
Trainer: Lukas Eder
BCS Koolitus on Eesti juhtiv IKT valdkonna koolitus-, projektijuhtimis- ja konsultatsiooniettevõte. Loen koolitusfirma kohta veel...